October 13, 2016

4 Months Plant Based

On June 15, 2016 I decided to transition myself from an animal based diet to a (mostly) plant based diet. I had been dealing with some digestion issues and had already cut dairy out of my diet but it hadn't fixed all my issues. I did a lot of research and found that plant based diets supported healthier digestive systems, so I decided to make the change and see what happened.

Also, being a biology graduate, I am well aware of the environmental impacts caused by the meat industry and I believe that one of the best things we can do for our planet is to eat less meat. But I don't really want to get into that today.

When I told my husband that I wanted to start eating less meat, he thought I was crazy but was supportive (as long as I agreed not to make him do it). lol. I was a little concerned that cooking and eating plant based for every meal would be difficult, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was super easy for me. I love to cook, so I really enjoyed the challenge of finding and coming up with new recipes to try. With resources like hot for food blog, the edgy veg, and a couple cooks it was easy to find great recipes. To make the transition easier, I started out making more interesting veggie based meals like butternut squash tacos and Thai baked sweet potatoes. (even my meat eating husband loves these)

Now that it has been four months, I LOVE eating this way! I still eat meat when I go out if there isn't a good vegan option or when I eat at someone house but I don't cook meat for myself. My digestion issues are completely resolved, my skin is clearer, and I have more energy. I really don't think I will ever go back to eating a primarily meat based diet.

I also feel like I have a better relationship with food than I ever have. I don't crave sweets like I used to and when I do, I don't feel guilty after eating a cookie. I am excited to eat because I really love the food I'm eating and I feel like I'm doing something great for my body at every meal.

If you have ever considered a more plant based diet, I would strongly recommend that you try it! But be sure to do your research and make sure you know what foods to eat to ensure that you get all the nutrients you need to be healthy.


If you have any questions please ask and I will do my best to answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment