June 23, 2016

DON'T SKIP BREAKFAST

To those who really know me, it is no secret that I LOVE breakfast! I go to bed thinking about breakfast. I wake up thinking about breakfast. I would never consider skipping breakfast!

Eating breakfast daily helps you to stay focused, which is great if you are in school! Skipping breakfast is known to correlate with overeating later in the day, weight gain, sedentary lifestyle, and lack of energy. So why do people skip breakfast? Everyday, I hear fellow college students say they don't have time for breakfast so they either skip it or they eat something like a sugary granola bar that isn't fueling their body or giving them sustained energy. This is what inspired me to share this post.

I know that eating healthy in college is difficult. It takes a little bit of extra work, that we may not necessarily have the energy or time for but it is SO important! How can you expect to focus on your school work if your stomach is growling and you're low on energy?

In hopes of helping some of you find a breakfast that works for you, I'm sharing two of my favorite, easy breakfasts!

These banana pancakes are my all time favorite breakfast. I could eat them almost everyday. Of the two recipes I'm sharing, this one does take the most effort but I think it only takes me about 15 minutes to make. It is packed full of protein to provide energy and keep you feeling full for several hours and more importantly, its delicious!

In a small bowl mix the egg, mashed banana, vanilla, and cinnamon.
Heat a skillet and make three evenly sized pancakes.
When cooked through, stack and smother in natural peanut butter.
*try adding berries for extra nutrients and flavor or a tablespoon of unsweetened coca powder for chocolate pancakes.
*for a VEGAN option, use one flax egg. (1 tbsp ground flax with 2.5 tbsp warm water and let it sit in the refrigerator for a couple minutes.)



I have shared overnight oats in the past but I have a new recipe for them that I have been loving. I got this idea from The Domestic Geek on YouTube. She made peanut butter and jelly yogurt cups for snakes and I thought it would be great mixed with oats for a filling and yummy breakfast. This is the perfect breakfast for days you know you won't have a lot of time in the morning because you prepare it the night before!

In a seal-able container,  combine oats, almond milk, yogurt, and peanut butter.
Top with jam or fruit preserves. 
Let sit in the refrigerator over night. 
*I use plain vegan yogurt and add vanilla extract to it.







If you made it to the end of this extremely long blog post, THANK YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment